This year we are expanding the scope of the event to focus on maternal health, wellness and self-care for moms. We are thrilled to have several professionals in attendance to discuss important maternal health topics in a roundtable format.
So, pull up a chair at the table and listen in to learn more about these important maternal health topics and the resources available to women and moms today. You’ll also have an opportunity to ask questions. It’s important for mothers at all stages of life to learn to fill their own cups so they can model healthy habits for their children and so that they can be present and available – not depleted and distracted – as parents.
10:45am – Sweatin’ for Your Sanity? A Discussion About How to Make FITness a Realistic Part of Your Life
- Powerfull Fitness is a resource for those who want to be on a fitness journey to a better you. Come learn more about Powerfull workouts, meal plans, and more … giving you the power to live life to the FULLest! Laura Waller started teaching group exercise almost 4 years ago and fell in love with the class environment. She loves the idea of everyone laughing and working out at the same time – when there is community there is fun and accountability together. She teaches everything from boot camp to toning to kickboxing. Laura will talk, demo, and answer questions about how to make fitness a realistic part of your life.
11:30am – Postpartum Mental Wellness: A Discussion About Perinatal Mood Disorders
- Postpartum Support Virginia is a resource that provides hope and help to women and their families who are experiencing anxiety, depression, or other perinatal mood and anxiety disorders (PMADs). Come join a discussion about these important topics with Mara Watts. Mara Watts, MA, MEd has advanced degrees from the University of Colorado and George Mason University and is currently a Resident in Counseling in Falls Church. After her own struggle with postpartum anxiety and depression she felt that helping other women through postpartum challenges was her calling. Mara is Postpartum Support Virginia’s point of contact for the INOVA Health System, where she leads two postpartum support groups and provides outreach and education to those seeking to learn more about postpartum depression. Mara and her family live in Fairfax.
12:15pm – Six All Natural Ways to Improve Your Health and Transform Into Your Best Self
- In this session, Dr. Anne Berkeley will discuss natural health tips for the entire family, with the goal of improving health and creating a foundation for optimal wellness. Dr. Berkeley’s practice Medicine To Thrive focuses on providing holistic care for adults and children in the DC area. In her practice, she works with patients to improve their health and discover the underlying cause of symptoms. Dr. Anne Berkeley is a board-certified naturopathic medical doctor in Washington DC. Her functional medicine practice provides an individualized approach to health and wellness. She is passionate about providing holistic care with an emphasis on wellness and prevention for the entire family.
1:00pm – ICAN Have Hope, Health, and Healing: A Moms-Supporting-Moms Resource for Before, During and After Pregnancy
- ICAN of Northern Virginia‘s mission is to improve maternal-child health by preventing unnecessary cesareans through education, providing support for cesarean recovery, and promoting Vaginal Birth After Cesarean (VBAC). This support group is a safe place for mothers to find healing and support, and for others to learn about cesarean prevention. Join us, mom to mom, as we discuss pregnancy, birth, and beyond. Alicia Joy Parowski is a member of the International Cesarean Awareness Network (ICAN), Northern Virginia Chapter, and has been blessed to be able to find resources and companionship with other wonderful women through ICAN as she walks this journey of motherhood. Alicia Joy has three energetic children; the oldest was born via cesarean followed by two vaginal births (VBACs). She loves to discuss all things related to birth and mothering.
1:45pm – Promoting Maternal Wellness: A Discussion About Chiropractic Care
- Join a discussion about the benefits of chiropractic care in all stages of pregnancy and postpartum. Additionally, the benefits of chiropractic on children. Dr. Curtis C. Margerum, D.C. with Alexandria Back & Neck Center has been in practice the past 26 years in Alexandria, Virginia and loving every minute of it. He has helped uncountable number of patients through the years. He has skills in many chiropractic techniques including diversified, activator, Thompson drop and Cox Flexion Distraction. He recently joined the Palmercare Chiropractic group which serves Northern Virginia in eight different locations. He is constantly attending seminars and meetings to continue to better himself for the benefit of his patients. His main goal is to provide the chiropractic experience which is above and beyond the patient’s expectations.
2:30pm – Holistic Parenting 101: A Discussion About Strategies and Resources for Family Wellness
- Sometimes we enter parenting with ideas about wellness, but many parents are shaped by the health issues that arise for them or for their children. Finding the tools and support you need can be challenge. Writer, blogger, and local wellness advocate Jessica Claire Haney’s interest in holistic health began while she was trying to reverse a thyroid disorder and recover her fertility in order to start a family. After becoming a parent in 2006, Jessica started the Arlington/Alexandria chapter of Holistic Moms Network to help support families in their natural lifestyle choices. In order to help more parents find their way to wellness, she later launched MindfulHealthyLife.com, a resource website for natural-minded parents in Metro DC with a blog, calendar and directory. Jessica’s talk will draw on the wisdom she’s gained along her health journey and will share tips for parenting mindfully, with a holistic approach, and within our local communities.