Saturday, May 13, 2017 – Mother’s Day Weekend
10:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Alexandria Beatley Library
Large Meeting Room
5005 Duke Street, Alexandria, Virginia 22304
Free and open to the public! Join us on Mother’s Day weekend for a blood drive and maternal health awareness event dedicated to saving the lives of mothers. The blood drive will advocate for maternal health education and awareness of many important issues. This is a child-friendly event that will have exciting giveaways, activities for kids, and support for moms and families from local maternal health organizations. We encourage you to bring the whole family! Check out more about this event and the survivors in attendance.
Donate Blood: Appointments and walk-ins are available between 10:30am and 2:30pm. Check out more info here.
Kid’s Crafts for Mother’s Day: Arts on the Horizon, a nonprofit theatre company that provides high-quality performances and education programs for young people ages 0 to 6 years old and their families, will provide materials for kids to create a special card for their moms for Mother’s Day.
Dress Up: Unbox The Booth will provide an open photo booth to take photos of you and your kids dressed up as your favorite superhero and share your favorite blood donation or thank you message. We’ll have lots of superhero props to choose from. This will be fun!
Meet Survivors: Mothers and survivors from the Hope for Accreta Northern Virginia Chapter, a charitable foundation that provides research and support for Placenta Accreta, Increta and Percreta patients and survivors, will be in attendance to share their personal stories of why blood donations are so important and to thank those who give the gift of life.
Donations For Moms and Kids in Need: My Grandmother’s House, a nonprofit which helps families in need with young children in rural Virginia at no cost, will be collecting gently-used clothing, diapers, toys/books, supplies & baby equipment. Clean out your closets and help others in the area!
Maternal Health Guest Speakers: Check out more details here.
- 10:45am – Sweatin’ for Your Sanity? A Discussion About How to Make FITness a Realistic Part of Your Life – Laura Waller of Powerfull Fitness
- 11:30am – Postpartum Mental Wellness: A Discussion About Perinatal Mood Disorders – Mara Watts of Postpartum Support Virginia
- 12:15pm – Six All Natural Ways to Improve Your Health and Transform Into Your Best Self – Dr. Anne Berkeley of Medicine To Thrive
- 1:00pm – ICAN Have Hope, Health, and Healing: A Moms-Supporting-Moms Resource for Before, During and After Pregnancy – Alicia Joy Parowski of ICAN of Northern Virginia
- 1:45pm – Promoting Maternal Wellness: A Discussion About Chiropractic Care – Dr. Curtis C. Margerum of Alexandria Back & Neck Center
- 2:30pm – Holistic Parenting 101: A Discussion About Strategies and Resources for Family Wellness – Jessica Claire Haney of Mindful Healthy Life
Giveaways and Door Prizes: Check out a full list here.
Volunteer: We welcome you to help out and get more involved. More info here.